In Salesforce Marketing Cloud, how do I create a data extension?
- To open the list of data extensions, navigate to .
. The "Create Data Extension" dialog box will open. You can specify how you will build your data extension:
- Standard Data Extension: Creates a brand new data extension with custom fields
- Filtered Data Extension: Uses a source data extension and filters data for use in a new data extension
- Random Data Extension: Lets you randomly select subscribers from a source data extension
- Name the data extension and add a description if desired. Do not enter an external key; Marketing Cloud will generate one upon creation.
- Select where you want to save your data extension. Check
- If your data extension is associated with a campaign, in the "Campaign Association" section, search and select the campaign.
- For "Retention Setting", select
or as desired:
- Off: Data extension data will be kept indefinitely, but will be deleted in six (6) months if the extension has not been used
- On: Lets you choose when the data will be deleted
- Under "Fields", add fields to the data extension. Complete the information for each field you need:
- Name: The name of the column
- Data Type: The data type of the contents of the field. Values are the following:
- Text: Letters, numbers, and spaces
- Number: An integer, no decimals
- Date: A date value
- Boolean: A 0 or 1 value
- Email Address: An email address; a field of this type must exist before you can send email to a data extension
- Phone: A phone number; this data type accepts any string with 10 or 11 digits and strips out non-digit characters
- Decimal: A number with a decimal point
- Length: Maximum number of characters (including spaces) you can import into this column
- Primary Key: If selected, the system requires that the value in this field be unique so it can use this field to uniquely identify a row.
- Nullable: Determines whether this column can be empty. If you do not select this and you try to import a NULL value for this column, the system will respond as you specify in the "Skip Rows with Bad Data" field on the import definition.
- Complete the "Send Relationship" field. This determines the field in the data extension that relates to the "Subscriber" table, typically the subscriber key.
- Click .