In Salesforce Marketing Cloud, how do I use S/MIME certificates to send digitally signed email?
In Salesforce Marketing Cloud, you can attach a digital signature to your outbound email messages to provide a layer of security for your subscribers. The digital signature, which includes a secure certificate and a public key, confirms for your recipients that the message to which it is attached originated from you (i.e., not from an impostor "spoofing" the message). It also serves as a digital seal that assures recipients that the content of your message was not altered in transit.
Marketing Cloud supports the S/MIME standard for secure certificates used for digitally signing email at Indiana University. You can use IU's Incommon Certificate Manager to create a certificate, and then import that certificate into Marketing Cloud and attach it to a delivery profile for sending digitally signed email.
- Create and download your S/MIME certificate; for instructions, see Get an S/MIME certificate for digital email signatures at IU. (Make sure to remember the PIN you create for installing your certificate).
- Once your certificate is saved to your workstation, log into Marketing Cloud and select your Business Unit.
- In the Email Studio, click the tab.
- In the folder tree, click the (plus sign) next to , and then select .
- In the Key Management tool, click .
- Under "Encryption Type", select the radio button.
- In the "Name" field, enter a name for your certificate.
Note:If your business unit uses multiple sender profiles, you should give your certificate a name that corresponds to the sender profile with which you intend to use it.
- For the "Key" field, click to locate and select the S/MIME certificate saved on your workstation.
- In the "Passphrase" field, enter the PIN you created for your certificate.
- Click .
- On the tab, under , select , and then click the delivery profile you want to use to send digitally signed email.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and then, under "SMIME", click the checkbox to select and use the drop-down list to select your certificate (e.g., ).
- Click .