The Marketing Cloud and Service Cloud have different features and strengths, yet are used together to streamline your work.
The Marketing Cloud is an email tool similar to bulk mailers such as WhatCounts, MailChimp, and Constant Contact.
Marketing Cloud is used for:
- Templates and email creation
- Sending emails from both Marketing and Service Clouds
- Static lists
- Subscription management (newsletters)
- Data extensions
- Throttling email sends
- Advanced analytic data and reports
The Service Cloud is the Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) database.
The Service Cloud is used for:
- Enterprise IU data feeds
- Creating/importing/exporting contacts
- Reports/filters on IU enterprise data to send to different groups of IU recipients
- Simple sends (scheduling only)
- Sending emails to Campaigns and Reports
What are the features of Marketing Cloud?
- Subscriber lists
- Email sends and analytics
- Email design, templates, portfolio
- Subscription management (profile center, subscription center, opt-in/out, web collect subscriptions form)
- Shared design resources
- Team-based subscriber attributes (Data Extensions)
- Email throttling
- Newsletter capability
- Private lists and subscriber records
- Storage of team-based subscriber attributes or transactional data for use in emails or segmentation
- Sends in Marketing Cloud do not link back to central Service Cloud contact record unless SFID is used as subscriber key.
- Currently, there is no dynamic access to IU source data (employees, students).
What are the features of Service Cloud?
Service Cloud is the primary constituent database with reporting capabilities.
- IU faculty and staff source data loaded daily (all campuses)
- IU enrolled student data loaded daily (all campuses)
- Source of unique “SFID” for use in future functions or linked applications
- Simple email sends
- Contact-based views and histories
- Enterprise-wide views to contact records
- Future “hub” of contacts-to-services
- Ease-of-use for internal or operational messaging
- Cannot store company or organization name and data at this time
- Cannot overwrite IU source data with “preferred” contact details
- No subscription management
- Must use import utility to upload lists, which is complex (peopleimport)
- Only well-maintained contact records should be uploaded to Service Cloud