The Marketing Cloud and Service Cloud have different features and strengths, yet are used together to streamline your work.
A wide range of capabilities
The Marketing Cloud is an email tool similar to bulk mailers such as WhatCounts, MailChimp, and Constant Contact.
Marketing Cloud is used for:
- Templates and email creation
- Sending emails from both Marketing and Service Clouds
- Static lists
- Subscription management (newsletters)
- Data extensions
- Throttling email sends
- Advanced analytic data and reports
The Service Cloud is the Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) database.
The Service Cloud is used for:
- Enterprise IU data feeds
- Creating/importing/exporting contacts
- Reports/filters on IU enterprise data to send to different groups of IU recipients
- Simple sends (scheduling only)
- Sending emails to Campaigns and Reports
What are the features of Marketing Cloud?
- Subscriber lists
- Email sends and analytics
- Email design, templates, portfolio
- Subscription management (profile center, subscription center, opt-in/out, web collect subscriptions form)
- Shared design resources
- Team-based subscriber attributes (Data Extensions)
- Email throttling
- Newsletter capability
- Private lists and subscriber records
- Storage of team-based subscriber attributes or transactional data for use in emails or segmentation
- Sends in Marketing Cloud do not link back to central Service Cloud contact record unless SFID is used as subscriber key.
- Currently, there is no dynamic access to IU source data (employees, students).
What are the features of Service Cloud?
Service Cloud is the primary constituent database with reporting capabilities.
- IU faculty and staff source data loaded daily (all campuses)
- IU enrolled student data loaded daily (all campuses)
- Source of unique “SFID” for use in future functions or linked applications
- Simple email sends
- Contact-based views and histories
- Enterprise-wide views to contact records
- Future “hub” of contacts-to-services
- Ease-of-use for internal or operational messaging
- Cannot store company or organization name and data at this time
- Cannot overwrite IU source data with “preferred” contact details
- No subscription management
- Must use import utility to upload lists, which is complex (peopleimport)
- Only well-maintained contact records should be uploaded to Service Cloud